Friday, April 23, 2010

April 23, 2010

I will be very glad when the semester is over. Don't get me wrong, I love my classes, but it seems like everything was plopped into the final few weeks.

I have also found that editing a video is not as easy as it sounds. I does get to be fun once you get the hang on it though. I did one other video for a class called The Biology of Sex. For the extra credit assignment you had to pick a certain story about an animal's sexual behavior. I wound up with the African Elephant and made a sort of Mutual of Omaha video with me "travelling" to Africa (actually the San Diego Zoo) to explain the "biology" first-hand. This video is a little duller, but I am managing to get in a few funny spots to break the tension.

I also attended the Library Volunteer's Breakfast today. There were four YA novelists who spoke about their books and how they became writers. All of the ladies were interesting and funny. A local bookstore had copies of their books available for purchase and signing and of course I had to buy a few. I decided to start a new blog about the other books I read. I am very eclectic, but I have recently become obsessed with YA novels. I only wish they had been around when I was a teenager, sigh!

Amidst all this I was able to finish another book, GABRIEL'S GIFT by Hanif Kureishi, which tells the story of a young boy (Gabriel) in England who lives on the wrong side of the tracks and is trying to deal with his parent's break-up. The characters are not like your average protagonists, in fact, there are very few to like. Gabriel is a bit of a brat, his father is a low-life, and his mother is a drunk. What makes this novel unique is that, by the end of the book, the characters grow and change and you actually do care about what happens them. I don't know if I would recommend this novel as it is definitely not for everyone, but I can understand why it is on the list.

10 BOOKS READ
991 TO GO

Until tomorrow, Good Night and Good Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment