Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day One, let's get reading

Well here we go, I've got a meeting for one of my MLIS classes tonight and I bet I will be very frustrated afterwards, so I will begin with one my favorite classic authors, Jane Austin, and her shortest tale NORTHANGER ABBEY.

I guess a description of what an MLIS actually is might be in order. It is a Masters of Library and Information Science. A big title for librarian...yes you do need a Master's degree in order to be a full-fledged librarian. That is because, as I am painfully finding out, a librarian's job is not just to shush patrons and shelve books. No, today a librarian must be on the cutting edge of research technology, has to be able to catalog and index book and journals (not as easy as it sounds) and he or she has to manage library staff. I am currently pulling my hair out with three courses (not for the weak of heart) Info & Society (a history of library science), Info Retrieval (a database design course which is currently making me cross-eyed) and Info Organization & Management (a class looking at how documents are made findable within a database).

I am going to try to post every morning with what I have read the previous day and an account of where I am in my quest. I decided at this point not to set a time goal for finishing, but I would like to be almost done by the time I finish my degree in two years.

Good Afternoon and Good Reading!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!! Just saw your blog from the 144 group. I can't wait to follow your progress! :-)

    If you're interested, I blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aths, Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I am just getting used to this whole blogging experience and didn't go back to check on earlier posts for comments. Thanks for the encouragement!

    I also added myself as a follower on your blog.

    ReplyDelete