Friday, April 16, 2010

A little delay due to Netflix Upgrade, April 15, 2010

I received an email earlier this week that Netflix is now connected to WII for their down streaming movies and I decided to sign on. Unfortunately, yesterday as we tried to hook it up our router crashed (not sure if that's the right term) and I had no access to the Internet until this evening. It was worth it because we now have the streaming movies and TV programs in both the living room and bedroom! I love this program and highly recommend it as it is like having a video store in your home. Boy, I sound like a commercial.

Anyhow, I managed to get through two books in the last couple of days. I finished IN COLD BLOOD by Truman Capote on the 13th and was actually surprised that I liked it. I have thought about reading this story for quite a while, but since I generally don't like "real crime" novels I have put it off. I found Capote's writing to be very engaging. The story read like a novel, not true-crime, although I guess someone who likes that form of writing would enjoy this as it followed the story of two thugs who kill a family of 4 in a small Kansas town in 1959.

Capote actually is thought to have created this form of "novelistic journalism" and is a master at the job. He manages to work the minute details that make up a crime investigation into an interesting story that follows the details from the day before the murders to the ultimate end of the criminals. The gory details are there, but they are written with much respect and little actual gore. I highly recommend this novel.

On April 15 I re-read THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME by Mark Haddon. I first read this story last year and it lost none of its charm in this reading. The story revolves around a young autistic boy who is obsessed with "maths" and his efforts to solve the mystery of a neighbor's dog who is killed by what he calls a gardening fork. I enjoyed the way Haddon gave this autistic child life and made the reader look differently at someone who they may have turned away from in real life. This book definitely fits within the 1001 as it makes a hero out of a character who would have been sideline at best in most novels.

Well, I have a resume to finish along with a peer review to complete for one of may classes. To say nothing of the research I need to do for a term paper in another one and the beginning of a video for a third. Yikes, this all has to be done in three weeks, but I'm doing very well so far, so I am not too afraid. Wish we luck!

I hope to find a short novel to read today so that I can keep up with this blog also. So I will check in tonight with my progress.

6 books read
995 to go

Until then, Good Night and Good Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment