Saturday, April 10, 2010

A lazy Saturday...

I actually spent most of today catching up on my DVR programs and reading as my husband was fighting a headache most of the day and we couldn't do the reorganization we had planned. I love days like this while they are happening, but when the day is done and I look around at what I didn't do it makes me irritated. Luckily, there is always tomorrow, to quote a certain southern belle.

I have two books to add to my finished list and I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

First I read THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE by Muriel Spark. Having seen and enjoyed the movie many times I was really looking forward to reading what the movie had left out. I was not disappointed. Sparks is able to breathe life and spunk into this wonderful woman who in her prime saw as her main goal to make her "girls" the best they could be.

I wish that I had had a teacher like Miss Brodie growing up who thought about what there was to living life after school, rather than just learning through books. I did have one teacher, Annie Krill, who taught acting through the Old Globe ROP program here in San Diego, who was probably closest to Miss Brodie in teaching style and class. I loved the way she made us feel like we were already adults and ready to take on the world. Just as Miss Brodie saw her girls as the "creme de la creme," Annie Krill made us believe that we could do anything we set our hearts to.

I then picked up a decidedly darker book: A DAY IN THE LIFE OF IVAN DENISOVICH by Alexander Solzhenitsyn which is as it title suggest an actual day in the life of a prisoner, Ivan Denisovich Shukhov, in a gulag in Stalinist Russia. Known to his wardens as S-854 Ivan lives a bleak day of gruelling cold, little food, and hard labor. Given the content one would think that is would be a boring read, unless there was lots of action, there wasn't, but I found that only a small portion which detailed the building of a wall with mortar dragged a bit. The rest of this short novel was a very interesting look into the life of someone who was serving a ten year sentence for a crime he didn't really commit.

As a side note, this particular book is better read in one or two sittings as it is like a single day diary with no chapter breaks. Being a mere 159 pages this is not too difficult to do.

Well, that's it for today. I have to do some research and study tomorrow, so I don't know if I will complete any books, but I will definitely check in with my status.

So I've read three books with only 998 to go!

Good Night and Good Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment