Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1, 2010

Happy May Day one and all! I am glad to report that I have finally recovered from my reading migraine and am ready to tell you about the books that gave me all the pain!

I started out with THE LIGHT OF DAY by Graham Swift which details a day in the life of a retired police detective turned private eye. I hate to say that it took a lot of resolve on my part to keep reading this novel as it was difficult to keep track of whether the action was current day or in the memories of the protagonist. I really did not like any of the characters and was glad when it was over. Oh well, I guess you can't like them all!

I then read FURY by Salman Rushdie. I have to admit that I have never read a Rushdie book, fiction or non-fiction, but after this novel I will definitely check them out. This tells the story of Malik Solanka who sees the base of all emotions in life as linked to fury. He believes that everything we do is because we have this hidden rage inside seeking its release. The story revolves around Malik's relationships with two women and how they alter his road in life. Replete with popular homages, many to Star Wars, this is a black-comedic novel with a heart.

The next book I read was THE SHROUD by John Banville. This tale revolves around Axel Vander, a life-long liar, who meet a young girl who threatens to reveal a lie that could change the rest his life. Axel is an old man, blind in one eye and has a leg that is almost useless. He takes the girl who he calls "Miss Nemesis" into his life and becomes emotionally involved. The girl changes how he see life and grow herself in the process. The novel is at times a bit slow, but overall I can see why it made the list as it shows how we are never too old to learn.

My next novel was IN THE FOREST by Edna O'Brien, a murder mystery set in the Irish countryside. A murdered, released from prison, returns to his home town to kill again for his own misguided reasons. The mystery is not the lead player in this novel, but the town folk and the town itself, who are lovingly depicted by Ms. O'Brien. I don't know if this story really belong on this type of list, but it was very well written.

I finished my "day" with THE MASTER by Colm Toibin. This novel is in the vein of THE HOURS in that it depicts the life of Henry James in a fictional setting. I would recommend that if you have not read any Henry James, do so first and then read this story as some of its intricacies will make more sense. I have read James and loved this fictional look at the man behind the stories.

If you want to read my final review of THE HUNGER GAMES go to my other blog at:

http://roseannthereadersotherbooks.blogspot.com/

Well, what with the read-a-thon and my migraine I am painfully behind in one of my final assignments so I guess the next few days will be spent catching up. I do hope to read and will post as I can.

So far,
16 books read
985 to go

Until next time, Good Night and Good Reading!

3 comments:

  1. Oooo, I'll definitely have to pick up The Master. Congrats on a successful read-a-thon - if you read hard enough to get a migraine, it must have been a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, and I *highly* recommend more Rushdie. Midnight's Children is my absolute favorite. It links the life of Salim (born at the moment of India's independence) to the lives of all the other children born that day - it's about their mystical powers/connection and also about India - excellent, excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation Kara. I'll be sure to check that one out. Let me know what you think of The Master.

    ReplyDelete