Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 22, 2010


EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED by Jonathan Safar Foer

Foer tells the story of a fictional Jonathan who, with only a beaten up old photograph of his grandmother, tries to find the history of his family, most of whom perished in the Holocaust. Jonathan travels to the Ukraine and with the aid of Alexander, a young Ukraine who's English leaves much to be desired, begins the journey that will open up both his and Alexander's hearts and eyes.

Interspersed between the journey tale, is the story of Jonathan's ancestry. The magical realism here is very thick at times, but beautifully (and sometimes dirty and graphically) told.

I found this novel to be one that I often wanted to put down, but couldn't. I know that sounds bad, but in the end, my journey, like Jonathan's and Alexander's, was worth it.

As an aside, it was a lovely late Spring day yesterday, so I decided to head to La Jolla in the afternoon to read. As I lay on the grass with the Torry Pines as shade, I suddenly heard a rustling next to me. I turned and about a foot away was a seagull just staring at me. I dubbed him Harry and he stayed next to me for almost the full time I was at the cove. This added my own brand of "magical realism" to my reading experience.

So far, 19 Books Read
982 To Go

Until next time, Good Morning and Good Reading!

4 comments:

  1. I just heard of this book recently! I am glad to read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book - and I loved to think of you reading in Torry Pines! We'll be heading down to Coronado (from Orange County) for Memorial Day weekend, where I'll get to visit one of my favorite indie bookstores - Bay Books! I have my "Wish List" uploaded on my Droid and I'm ready go buy some books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a great time in Coronado! I have only been to Bay Books once--don't get to Coronado that often--and it is wonderful!

    If you get a chance you may want to head out to Adams Ave Book Store 3502 Adams Ave. (it's in the Kensington area if you know San Diego) as they are having their Grand Reopening Sale (20% off all books). They are my favorite used book store here in San Diego and I have been going through withdrawals while they have been remodeling (hence my post today about the weekend).

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... sounds like a great place to read there. Not many people have read and blogged this book so it was good to read your review.

    BTW, you do have a copy of v4 of the 1001 books spreadsheet don't you? If not, head over to HERE

    and get yourself a copy!

    ReplyDelete