Sunday, June 6, 2010

June 6, 2010


THE SEA by John Banville

This is the story of a man who has just lost his wife to cancer. He returns to the seaside village that he visited as a young boy and thought of his first romance fill his mind. The story jumps from the past to the future and shows how we both grow and stay the same when it comes to love.

I have to admit that this is probably one of my least favorite reads so far. I cannot really put my finger on the reason why as the story held my interest, but for a book under 200 pages to take me over four days to read there has to be something missing. I think it was the characters, I just didn't connect to any of them, male or female. I guess it could just be the author, as thinking to my review of his other book, THE SHROUD, I also had trouble being connected to the characters.

I am currently reading a copy of a new book, HIDDEN WIVES by Claire Avery, which I received from the author. My comments will be up on my other blog in the next day or so. I am really enjoying this novel which looks at the lives of two young sisters in a fundamentalist religious community.

21 Books Read
980 to go!

I will be back soon with another "1001" book, until then...

Good Night and Good Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I'm more interested in reading this AFTER hearing you say you didn't like it much? It's kind of like touching the plate anyways after the waiter tells you it's hot. Sometimes curiosity gets the better of you and you just have to see for yourself.

    I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Hidden Wives. I haven't heard of the book but my ex-husband is from a fundamentalist background and I've spent some time around that kind of community so the topic always interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do read it and let me know what you think. I know it was a good book as I wanted to know what was going to happen. I just didn't necessarily want to keep reading for long periods.

    ReplyDelete