Wednesday, June 9, 2010

June 9, 2010


THE LIFE OF PI by Yann Martell
Pi is a young boy living in India, while not being harassed at school he spends his free time in the zoo his father owns. Pi's father says he was born Hindi, but follows no structured religion, so Pi goes in search of enlightenment and finds things he like in Christianity, Hindu, and the Muslim faiths and joins them all. This brings trouble when all of the religious leaders wind up at Pi's house to tell his parent was a good (Christian, Muslim, and Hindi) he is. Pi sees no trouble in blending the faiths to seek enlightenment, but that is only the beginning of this wonderfully told "journey" tale. It is when Pi winds up shipwrecked on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger as his only companion that the story really starts.

I thoroughly enjoyed this tale which is along the lines of Homer's Odyssey in it's scope and weirdness. There are twists and turns that I never expected and that is hard to do with me. I loved the fact that Pi was able to see the good in many faiths and had no trouble aligning himself to those parts that spoke to his belief system. The tale of his 277 day journey on the lifeboat/raft is intriguing and almost impossible to describe. If you have not read Life of Pi, put it on your TBR pile!

I may be away from this blog for a couple of days while I read some books that are due back in the library due to holds, but I will be posting my musings on my other blog.

22 Books Read
979 to go!

Until next time, Good Night and Good Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I too enjoyed this one. It was a while ago though but I still remember bits of it really clearly.

    Anyway, I guess as you know about the 1001 list, you're aware of the 1001 Books spreadsheet and have a copy of the new v4 edition, right? If not, head over to the spreadsheet page on Arukiyomi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one and reviewed it early on our blog. I liked it and found it fascinating. Then I read Robinson Crusoe and my feelings for Pi changed greatly. It really just felt like a rip off of Robinson. Have you read Robinson?

    If interested, here's a link to the post on Robinson where I talk about Pi: http://ouryearinbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/robinson.html

    ReplyDelete